This is an indulgent treat made easy with no baking or special equipment required and made a little healthier with the addition of baby spinach for the green minty filling and chia seeds to bind the base. This gives it additional fibre, omega-3 fatty acids and satisfaction! Get your favourite vegan chocolate for the topping and it's also vegan, and grain free. It is mildly sweetened with maple syrup.
Beyond all of that, it looks fun and will impress your household who will eat it all if they're anything like mine before you get a chance!
3/4 cup cashews
3/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
2 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp cacao
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cashews
2.5 tbsp coconut cream
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp maple syrup
5-15 drops pure peppermint oil or 3 tsp peppermint essence (go slowly and by taste)
1/3 cup baby spinach leaves
100g dark chocolate (70% or higher)
2.5 tbsp of melted coconut oil
1. Soak the cashew nuts for the filling in boiling water for no less than an hour.
2. Blend the cashew nuts for the base, and the desiccated coconut in a blender or food processor until the mixture clumps together. Add the remaining base ingredients and blitz just until combined.
3. Line a baking loaf with baking paper and tip the mixture in. Pack down with your fingers and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Put into the freezer to chill.
4. Once cashews have finished soaking put them into the blender with the rest of the filling ingredients and blitz until smooth. Taste and adjust mint flavour as required. Poor on top of the base and put back into the freezer.
5. After an hour melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave or in a bowl over a boiling pot until smooth. Cover the filling and put it back into the freezer.
6. Wait an hour or more before serving. It is easier to cut into slices upside down!